The Ludwig von Mises Institute South Africa defends the market economy, private property, sound money, and peaceful international relations. We believe government intervention is economically and socially destructive. This is our blog.
Help the cause of economic liberty and peace in Africa
Follow us on twitter
Like us on Facebook
Recent blog posts
- Joe Johansen on Don’t forget SARB QE: Part 2
- MarleyMarx on Crisis On The Cape Flats Caused By Decades of Social Engineering
- Daniel on BOE: “Money creation in the modern economy”
- iakovos on New Documentary Explains Global Financial Crisis From the Perspective of the Austrian School of Economics
- Blah on Mandela: The Great Symbol of South Africa’s Unfinished Fight For Liberty
- Say’s Law, Credit Expansion & the Business Cycle March 14, 2014
- Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough December 5, 2013
- Eersteklas ekonomiese satire: Die Petisie van die Kersmakers November 25, 2013
Fraud. Why the Great Recession?
Watch this crowdfunded documentary produced by Austrian school economist Jesus Huerta de Soto, author of "Money, Bank Credit, and Economic Cycles," on what caused the Great Recession. Click to watch it free online.
Monthly Archives: September 2013
One typically thinks of unemployment insurance as something people call on on a rainy day: it isn’t going to plug all the holes, but at least it’ll keep the lights on. But there’s something about a rainy day-fund that grew … Continue reading
Robert Higgs flips the austro-libertarian narrative on its head in this post. Choice quote: “People label a policy as a failure because it does not bring about its declared objective. For example, drug policies do not reduce drug use; educational … Continue reading
In April 2012 Chris Becker highlighted product debasement in a short post titled ‘Stealthflation.’ Stealthflation is hidden price inflation when instead of raising a product’s nominal price, manufacturers cut product sizes or reduce product quality. Stealthflation is rampant in South … Continue reading
Michael Power, a strategist at Investec Asset Management and long-time inflation dove has penned a piece in the Business Day online titled, Demographics determine bipolar inflationary trends. Power has for years advocated for higher price inflation in South Africa, which … Continue reading